Five Steps to Manage Stresscardiac, healthy heart, heart health, rehabilitation, stroke - April 22, 2022
April is National Stress Awareness Month
Everyone can experience stress in different ways and as such, it is difficult to define stress in one single way, but the most common explanation of stress is a physical, mental, or emotional strain or tension.
Here are 5 steps to help you manage stress:
- Eat well – a balanced diet impacts greatly on how we feel. Our bodies feel great when we eat healthy and that helps us feel great about ourselves and increases our ability to deal with everyday stress.
- Exercise – being active is not only great for your physical health and fitness but also for your mental health. Just like in the point above, when our body feels great overall, we are better equipped to deal with stress.
- Sleep well – good quality sleep makes a big difference to how we feel mentally and physically. Learn more about what happens to our bodies when we don’t sleep here: What Happens To Our Bodies When We Don’t Get Enough Sleep? – Catholic Health Services : Catholic Health Services
- Meditate – give yourself a sense of calm, peace and balance that also benefits your overall health. Taking time to meditate helps get in touch with yourself and think clearly about what could be causing you stress without overwhelming you.
- Connect socially – good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing. Speaking to someone about the situations that stress you out can help you vent and cope with them in healthier ways. Sometimes all we need is someone who listens.
Is there anything else that helps you manage stress? Let us know!