2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season

The 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season starts today, June 1st, and will end on November 30th. NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center predicts an above-normal season with a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.

“NOAA’s Climate Prediction Center is forecasting a likely range of 13 to 19 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 6 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher). NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence. An average hurricane season produces 12 named storms, of which 6 become hurricanes, including 3 major hurricanes.”

As we continue to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic, the need for preparedness is critically important. Here is a list of the 2020 Atlantic tropical cyclone names as selected by the World Meteorological Organization. Arthur occurred earlier in May becoming the first named storm of the season.

 

Start preparing today! Follow these 7 steps to be hurricane ready:
  1. Determine your risk. Determine what types of hazards your area may face and start preparing ahead of time on how to handle them.

 

  1. Develop and evaluation plan. Figure out where you’ll go in case you are ordered to evacuate and how you’ll get there.

 

  1. Assemble disaster supplies. It’s ideal to get your supplies before the hurricane season begins and store them.

 

  1. Get an insurance checkup. Make sure you have enough homeowners insurance to repair or replace your home.

 

  1. Strengthen your home. Make sure it’s up to local hurricane building code specifications and appropriately protected from the strong winds that come with hurricanes.

 

  1. Help your neighbors. They may need more help than you realize, especially seniors living around you.

 

  1. Complete a written plan. Writing down your plan will also help you avoid mistakes and be better prepared for the next storm by simply checking items off your list.

 

Read more about preparedness on this CHSpeaks Article.

Preparation is key! It can mean the difference between your being a hurricane victim or survivor.

 

Source: www.noaa.gov